View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pump & plumbing is back in. Line length is good, but would have been nice if the fittings on the lower hoses were indexed 180 from where they are. By shop if the lines, they want to face the opposite direction so they kinda corkscrew when I hook them up. I tried reversing sides, but that didn't help. Too bad they don't index them when they put the fittings on. I still have the original fluid that I drained out of this system & now I am wondering if maybe it its trans fluid but was before the red color was added? Smelled pretty bad like brake fluid, but is likely something else based on what everyone mention previously. An April build system shouldn't of had brake fluid in it, but its is honey colored

But that being said, When I was talking to the guy at the hydraulics shop where I bought the pump seals, he said there would be no advantage to running transmission fluid. The additives in it are all about clutch function & dealing with heat. Kinda makes sense. He thought std hydraulic oil like AW32 is what he would use. Not that its a better oil, its just an industry standard in hydraulics.

Do you think trans fluid is recommended so there is no mistaking what it is? That would make a lot of sense.

Must be Something about turning the lines being pink when they were clear before I took it apart thats bugging me. ;

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 7.20.28 AM.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	503874  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA

Last edited by 68ragtop; 01-26-2019 at 09:22 AM.