View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try a new one and that will tell you, these parts are not made to last forever, what OG68 says.

There no way to prove a 50+ year old switch is bad but it probably needs replaced. There is no Kent Moore "tester" that I know of to test a turn signal switch. It is either good or bad, most of them are junk by now.

Like I said before, I would plug the new switch in first BEFORE you take apart the column to verify any improvement.

Another issue which could be the problem is your printed circuit has gone bad behind the dash cluster and one of the 12 volt + signals that light up the green arrow tell-tails are shorting out. It will not show up as a direct short because there is a flasher in the 12 volt + side of the circuit. That or you have lost your ground at the dash or thru the PC. GM used the steel gauge housing as a ground and I have seen some of those housings that are pretty rusted. Enough to block or partially block the ground path. Then the current goes thru you "GEN" light to get to ground. I would pull the dash and inspect the printed circuit. Those need replaced at the 50 year mark as well.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 11-03-2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added one piece of info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Serio For This Useful Post: