View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If you want to get a schematic and find which wires in your 9 wire harness need to be connected to make the system work and make jumper wires to take the place of the switch contacts you could operate the system with the switch disconnected proving what you're asking for.

In my own experience a turn signal system that flashes rapidly usually has a short in a power wire going to ground. The flasher acts like a circuit breaker and the higher the electrical load the faster it reacts. If you've ever connected a trailer harness into a light duty flasher, the extra load of the added bulbs causes the flasher to flash more quickly, than when the extra load isn't there. A shorted wire between the switch and the socket will cause the symptom you're describing.

Myself I'd be looking for a pinched/bare wire by using a hot test light with all the bulbs removed. By probing the wires of the plug going to each turn signal with all the bulbs removed you should have no test light when probing the open circuits at the plug. Without looking at a schematic I would also assume you can probe the wires going to the switch to check for a short in the column, with the switch in the neutral position.

You can trace all the wires from the sockets back to the plug, but having a schematic for the car you're working on is much easier especially if the wires change colors where there are connectors in the system.

That's how I'd check the system, feel free to do whatever you think works for you.
Good answer. Will try it. I have several color schematics of the entire wiring system.

May a while to prove it all up. Thank you