View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A couple of years ago I was putting the last coat of clear on my 66 Chevelle SS396. Red Dupont base and very expensive clear. Red base is not cheap either. Anyway, a quart cup of clear would not go competelyaround car , so I usually stopped at the bottom of a quarter and refilled with clear and started across the decklid. On trouble was , I had mistakely picked up my primer gun full of etching primer. Now this primer was red also and I did not notice something wrong until I had gone over all decklid and started down the quarter on the other side. I was also not feeling any pain from paint fumes{yes,I was wearing a mask,but you still get a little giddy} I had to wash off paint from decklid and quarter and then really had a mess in paint booth. Anyway, I got all primer off and car back in pretty good shape next day and started over.I had to rebase the decklid and quarter and go completely around car with another coat of clear to melt everthing in. Only trouble now was I was out of the "recoat window" and as soon as the fresh wet clear with the hot hardner hit the 24/36 hour old clear guess what? Thats right, the entire car started blistering up all over as the wet clear ate into the finish. A nightmare. I wound up having to have entire car stripped and start over from scratch. About a hard week of work and about 1000.00 worth of paint. When ever I do any painting now{and I am presently refinishing my 68 GTO, I make sure there is only one gun in paintbooth. Once something starts going south on you, it doesn't turn around. You just have to go with the flow and try to make the best of what you have.

Last edited by rememberfireball#22; 08-26-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: additional text