View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am no expert either but I can try to help explain.

What Greg is suggesting would make it much easier for you to line the two pieces up and keep them flush before you tack them.

I realize you may not be comfortable cutting the patch panel to the correct size for the hole in the fender while keeping it in the correct orientation, but you can.

If you have screwed the patch panel on the fender (which it looks like you have), a trial fitting to the car will show you if it's properly aligned. I think you did that.

Cut away the portion on the fender that is bad and then scribe a very thin line on the patch panel around the repair area.

Now you have a patch panel with a line that fits the hole exactly with no room for a weld.

Make 2 very thin lines on the inside of that scribe line, one at 1/16" and another at 1/8", that will give you a line to cut to, (the 1/16" line) and one for a reference (the 1/8" line).

This will give you a 1/16" gap to fill with weld, (this allows you to get good penetration with less heat) while keeping the patch orientated and flush.

If you tack just a few spots (with very small tacks) waiting for it to cool, it will be easier to keep flush, keep the 1/16 gap, and now you can check it on the car again.

If you are satisfied, continue to jump between tacks keeping it as cool as you can to minimize distortion.

If you haven't watched this it might help with keeping the distortion down to a minimum and give you some other ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tdAgTCghUk

He has a few other vids that you may like, and there are other vids on YouTube also that are very helpful.

Try to be patient it takes time, I hope this helps.

Frank