View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Frame Updates

Still dont have any new pictures, but I had to go to the chassis shop today to finalize the changes needed to the frame. We set the mock up engine in the chassis with the headers and made the changes needed. The front reinforcement bar is being relocated lower to allow the clearance of the radiator and lower fan shroud. The two reinforcement bars running under the lower control arm bracket have been modified to allow the headers to clear. While I was there they told me how much change there was in the frame rigidity before and after. Prior to the changes the frame had a total movement of 3.5" when lifting one corner, after the changes the frame moves a total of 5/8"! I also have dropped off all of my other parts at the powdercoater. The rear end is getting done now, so that I can have it back sooner to allow that to be reassembled at the rear end shop. All of the parts are being coated a medium charcoal grey metallic. The rear end has an aluminum T/A cover that will be wrinkle finish black to offset the grey for a little contrast. None of this means anything without pictures so I will get those posted hopefully next week. The plan is to get the entire frame and suspension built and rolling by the end of December. I anticipate having the motor completed by this time in December and in the chassis also by the end of the year. My ultimate goal is to have the car finished by March in order to compete at the Del Mar Goodguys Autocross Challenge. Goodguys finally changed the rules and will allow my '73 into the show on the last day of the show.

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.