Thread: HEI Ignition
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In any case, the resistor (wire or block type) should be bypassed for operation with HEI. Since it's an "A" body, GM probably used a resistance wire similar to Pontiacs. Once the resistor is bypassed, The IGN2 circuit feeds the HEI when starting, and the bypass connection feeds it when running.

Usually connecting IGN2 to IGN1 at the ignition switch will do the same thing as a resistance bypass. When IGN1 becomes live in the run position, the HEI current goes to the HEI thru the IGN2 wire, automagically bypassing the resistance.

The above is only for cars with an IGN2 circuit from the ignition switch. Some GM cars like "F" body Pontiacs, use a wire from the starter solenoid to the distributor to provide power when starting. Obviously since there is no Ign switch IGN2 circuit, the connection mentioned above is not valid. On those, the additional bypass wire should be used.

george