View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM

The engine no longer has a heat valve on the exhaust manifold. I have changed oil again. Must have spent $1,000 on oil in 500 miles. I do have a shim under the carb although the bottom gasket was an issue which probably caused an exhaust leak and vacuum leak. It might also have sucked a bit of exhaust into the intake??? Since the carb empties itself when the car is hot and stopped, the first two plugs had gas deposits and I could smell gas very strongly in the shop after stopping the car once hot, I went to the conclusion that that was the cause of the gas in the oil. Also that exhaust intake passage in greatly debated on many forums with quite a few people blocking it off. The fuel pump is new (50528??) although I realize that doesn't mean anything. At present the car has the new fuel tank, sending unit and in tank electric pump installed without the proper fi lines installed.
So you both mentioned that the fuel pump may be one of the problems and Jeff mentioned making sure it is a carb issue by putting another one on the car. I could take the fuel pump out to check for issues with it. Changing carb would be a little more difficult. I could take the new tank out and put the old one in but I don't think I have another spread bore carb around. I have holleys but I think they are all square bores but I will check. I might be taking a shotgun approach to this issue but I have been fighting this a very long time. I appreciate both of your comments and assistance. Any further thoughts are really appreciated.