View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky 389 View Post
I got my '68 GTO in a mix-up. Worked at a salvage yard in Portland, or. in the early-mid 70s. I decided I wanted a GTO and one day 2 of them came in on the hook...both 68 coupes. I pointed to the one I wanted [turquois metallic with white painted top...yeah, weird, eh?] and said how much? The boss looks over his paperwork and says "$300 but it's got engine damage of some kind."
I bought it then and there. It was punched in the passengers front corner....ruined the fender and damaged the front lip of the door.
When I went to pick up the car after work the hood was missing. WTF? Went to the boss and he said "OOPS! we got the cars mixed up with each other" [again!] ...he gave me a nice yellow hood [which I rattle-canned black primer] and I began looking the car over...hit the key and the 400 cranked right up! Ran great! Slid the Hurst shifter into 1st gear [muncie 4 speed] and the car didn't move.......they had also sold the driveshaft that day before I could get the car gone.
I was given any driveshaft in stock which turned out to be a buick special shaft.......U-joints just a teeny bit smaller. [This eventually came back to bite me in the ass really bad]
Got the driveshaft bolted in and drove the car home.
The other GTO had a bad motor...not mine.
I pulled the fender to find a bent frame rail. Chained it to a post in my buddy's shop and straightened it with hammer, torch and come-along.
Bolted a set of cragar SS's on it with G and L 60 15s.
I loved this car! Handling was great....bolted a Holley spread-bore on the 350 HP engine and it ran even better. Car had a 3.55 limited slip 10 bolt.
I eventually swapped it to a fellow worker for a primo 57 Bel air hardtop with a 283, muncie 4 speed.
The kid I swapped to blew the 3.55's outta the GTO in front of work the day we made the swap.
I suppose I shouldn't laugh because a few months later [with a super hot 327 now] I broke the entire rear axle housing of the 57 burning out over a speed bump.
Too bad you traded the Goat. I liked that color combo. Although I have a soft spot for a a 57 Bel Air.