View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I remember when I was a kid my father explaining to me, if my cooling system was working right, once it got up to temp, it should NOT run hotter on the highway, or cooler on the highway, or hotter or cooler ANYWHERE ... it should maintain the normal temperature in all situations within the range of the thermostat open and close range.
Exactly.

The best description of engine cooling I ever heard was:
"The radiator sets the maximum temperature and the thermostat sets an artificial minimum temperature. It just happens to be above the maximum."

Which basically means in a well functioning cooling system on a properly tuned engine that without the thermostat, or if its stuck open the engine temperature should always go down. If it's going up, then the radiator's ability to cool has been exceeded, aka the maximum is going up.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)