View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by takid455 View Post
Been in a small debate of recent. After 10 years of driving and enjoying my 74 in so called garage find patina, its time to adddress the patina. The debate it whether to shelve and make a display (table, lamp stand, ect) with the orginal black and build a different short block or just keep it all together. Top end will original sans roller cam upgrade. I don't keep things stock. This car has been and will continue to be enjoyed and driven as it should. Being the block essential IS the car, it would be ahame it it got hurt which is my only concern. Do others shelve these SD bloacks or send them and let it rip?
Having just completed an almost two year concourse restoration on my 74 SD Formula. I chose to improve some areas of the original SD engine such as, replacing the original cam with a Crane roller, Scorpian roller rockers/lifters, a Pypes SS System, and 70-1/2 through 72 operational shaker. A previous rebuild had .030 over Ross Pistons installed.
My SD will probably never be driven again, by me. I (sadly in some ways) have created a Trailer Queen that will probably be on the market in the future or be assigned to the family collection for the next generation to enjoy.
Although I'm extremely curious as to what these improvements will have done to engine performance, in terms of quarter mile times. The next caretaker will have to do that. I just hope I'm around to hear the results.
That said, I would do what I did almost 30 years ago when I first got this SD. Drive it hard, take it to the drag strip, probably get a couple of speeding tickets, but take care of it.
It's not an Super Duty with out that engine!
I might make a lamp out of the original camshaft & std TRW pistons. LOL!
PS. I will be showing my SD Formula for the first time since restoration, at the Amelia Island Fl. Concours d'Elegance, Cars and Coffee event on Saturday March 9, 2019.