View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Default These are going to prove to be very rare cars!

John V.
Normally I am in agreement with you, but this is an exception. Since the registry (Specific to ’65 convertible GTO’s that had factory installed tripower & 4 spd) was started, I have sent over 60 emails to all the current chapter presidents of GTOAA and multiple members of POCI that that own ’65 convertibles. I have also posted registry request on the Performance Years forum, POCI’s “Smoke Signals” and the GTOAA’s “Legend”. We are reviewing the internet regularly for potential legit cars for sale and all of the members have made numerous calls to folks chasing leads. We also have contacted restoration shops that have a very strong personal interest in this particularly optioned GTO to get more leads.

With all this effort, we have only documented 17 cars. We are aware of another 6 that we are currently tracking down. Despite all this work, have we missed some cars? Absolutely!! Have we missed 227 cars? I don’t think so!! My guess is that the number is closer to 30-40 remaining cars and would be really surprised if it approached 50.

As you pointed out, this is all opinion. My opinion is that there were a much higher percentage of tri-powers installed on hardtops than convertibles (you didn’t see too many convertibles being raced at the drag strip!). Even with a higher survival rate of convertibles, I believe this will prove out to be a very rare car.

Bill