View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
MA, having formerly been a state inspection mechanic in PA, the cop is wrong. Only a state inspection mechanic, or a peace officer can remove an inspection sticker legally from a windshield in a registered car. A wrecking yard can remove one from a used windshield also before they sell it to an end user. Installing a used windshield in a car with a current inspection sticker is considered counterfeiting, and if the VIN written on the back of the sticker doesn't match the VIN on the car, you're in for a heap of fines.

The correct thing to do if you have a current sticker and have to replace the windshield is cut the corner out of the windshield with the current sticker, and you can display it for 10 days from the date you had the glass replaced. You better have all your paperwork and receipts with you too.

You have 2 options, get the car inspected again to get the most current sticker (if you're within 90 days of the expiration) or for $2 you can get a new sticker that is solely for windshield replacement purposes, that doesn't constitute a new inspection, it just gets you to the same place as the original sticker would have. The station the issues the replacement sticker has to hang onto the original sticker, and the corner of glass it's attached to until the state police do their annual audit of the garage records.

I don't miss all the rules and regulations attached to the PA inspection garages, and mechanics at all. And as with every rule or regulation, it's up for interpretation by the state cop who presides over the inspections in their area. Too political for me.

My 05 GTO is Yellow Jacket, and especially when the car was brand new I got pulled over for nothing, just so the cop could look at the new car. One cop finally admitted he wanted to see one close up, and being bright yellow, he didn't pass it by without stopping me to look at it. When all was said and done he told me, "nice car", and let me go on my way.

Pictures of 05 GTO when it was less than a year old, it's tough to miss with that color:

I have Antique registration plates on my cars which automatically voids the inspection rules in this state.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl