View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Chris, '65 not my thing but I take it Red positive cable was unique? My '64 repro cables are both Black IIRC.

But your pix raise a couple questions for me.

Weren't the originals all Spring Ring terminals?

Any idea of p/ns? I'm thinking a Red positive cable would either have a unique p/n or else the engineering drawing might have noted an alternate for a Red cable.

Lectric Limited seems to have copies of the original engineering drawings, if you have the p/ns they should be able to see what might be shown as the color on the p/n drawing.

I wonder if the cable color is identified in the '65 Olds F85 Assembly Manual?

I have the pdf on another computer but I'm thinking I got that from you? Wouldn't be certain that the Tempest shared cables with the F85 but would at least be interesting to learn if Olds did identify their cable color.

I gather that later builds did NOT use the Red cable? Curious as to why the change. I once read that in the early '60s (pre GTO) the OE Delco battery used black caps but the aftermarket version had yellow caps. Story was that Bill Mitchell or somebody in Design decided that the yellow caps detracted from the engine so they went with black. Maybe somebody didn't like the look of the Red cable? I'd guess more likely having 2 different color wires from which to make the cables added 5 cents per 100' to the cost. With millions of feet of wire used in production, that cost added up for GM!