View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 05:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
...Isn’t that way to much clearance? I thought you aimed for .060 or so from coil bind...
Way I understand it is getting close (.060") to coil bind dampens high RPM harmonics. There's some cool high speed videos showing valve springs dancing around, but the harmonics occur way over our RPM range.

An area where incorrrect advice can be given is timing. Unless you have set the crank at true TDC and set the timing cover and balancer in place and verified marks, you are only guessing your numbers are correct. Almost always see an error with the combination of new covers and/or balancers being up to 4° off. Old factory stuff is much closer but still can be 2° either way. Doesn't matter if setting timing on the dyno since engine will be set at optimum level, but the reported timing can be much different than actual. So the 28°, 30°, or 32° for Kaufman's might physically be very close to the same timing.

Some of the first gen Avenger carbs had problems, but ran good at full throttle where they straightened out. Idle and off-idle transition sucked on some of them.

Have seen some errors on the same dyno when the strain gauge went out of whack in the middle of the day. Don't know the proper name of that piece of equipment, but about an hours worth of down time got the replacement installed by their crew and we were back making pulls. From what I've seen just normal wear and physical variances will change readings no matter how precise the software happens to be.