View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cars I juuuuust missed buying

A thread over on the HAMB got me thinking about this.
Back in 1998 or 99, while living in Racine. I would always drive down a side street to by pass a red light, and would always see a car parked in a back yard fully covered in a tarp. One day driving by after heavy winds In the area, a corner of the tarp had blow up. I could just make out a tail light and quarter panel of a ‘65 Chevelle. Nice. The house it was parked behind was really shabby, and I never saw anybody outside.
About a year later I drive by and saw a guy out in the yard. I pulled over and talked to him. I said “Is that a ‘65 Chevelle under that tarp?”
He said “Yes, and it’s a convertible!”
He pulled the tarp off and it was a nice driver quality car. Red with red interior and black top.
Interior was spotless, needed a new top, minor rust holes behind wheel wells. Can’t remember if a 283 or 327, auto transmission. He said the usual story about wanting to fix it up someday. I handed him my phone number anyway and said if he ever wants to sell it, please give me a call. He said if he ever sells it he’ll push it in his front yard with a for sale sign on it. I thanked him and drove away.
About 2 years later I’m going through a divorce and can’t make any major purchases according to my lawyer, and I was flat broke anyway raising my 2 young kids on my own, as the ex had disappeared to another state. I’m driving down the side street and low and behold the Chevelle is sitting on the guys front lawn with a for sale sign on it. Damn! I get out and look at the sign and he wrote $2000 obo on it! This was easily a $10,000+ car at the time, in the condition it was in. I called around that night to see if anybody could front me the money. By the time I got there the very next day, it was long gone.
Just wasn’t meant to be I guess!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.