View Single Post
Old 08-30-2023, 09:03 AM

Default BMFH and the Engine

Hello

Yes, this me the OLD BMFH, for those of you that don't Know what my name represents it means BOAT MOTOR FROM HELL, one of the guy's on the forum gave this engine that name a few years ago, I really liked the name so used it as My Login Name of BMFH.

Here is a Link to it.

https://www.geocities.ws/ohcjhatch/ohc.htm

This is an OHC 6 Racing engine that I have had for several years, I wanted to do something with it over the years, but I was Just Not able to Finance doing it with Family Financial Responsibilities, 2 Divorces, 4 Daughters and all that comes along with having Girls, Schooling Cost's, Life in General Etc, Etc.

It was Raced on Salton Sea in SO CAL in the late 90's, Won A lot of the Races against a V8 field, the Racers Really Hated it because they Could NOT WIN against a 6 Cylinder, It won Races as a 3.8L, 4.1L And as a 5.0L (301 with a 292 Crank) It even won the "Championship" the first year in the water, that REALLY FRUSTRATED THE OTHER RACERS with V8's

It was in a "Loner" Lakes Car and raced on El Mirage Dry Lake, Murroc Dry lake at Edwards AFB in Nor Cal, Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

It's Best Speed was 159 MPH, It Had problems with the Ignition breaking down at High RPM's, (Over 5000 RPM's) It had Gobs of Power and wanted to come around on JD Tone at 5000 RPM's. Like I said It was in JD's Loner Lakes Car, they Just did Not have the Luxury of continuing to racing it. I bought it in 2001.

They Finally figured why the Ignition was Breaking Down, The DIS Ignition unit did not have a ground wire. The Simplest thing some times cause us to pull out our hair trying to solve the Problems., Check the Basics as a lot of People Say.

It was Raced by Bud Meyer, Vic Enyart and JD Tone who is in the 200 MPH club at the Bonneville Salt Flats with a Supercharged 302 GMC Engine.

"LONG STORY SHORT"
I will be Donating it to the American Museum Of Speed in Lincoln Nebraska Soon, at

https://whygoby.smugmug.com/Eddie-Meyer-Display/

If anyone Wants to Visit the Museum, they just picked up 13 Truckloads of the UNCER Racing Family's Historical Racing History Items.

The Museum Recently Completed a $10 Million Expansion.

It is going to the Eddie-Meyer-Display, The Meyer Family Racers started in the 30's with Flathead Fords, They Raced on Land, Water or anywhere they could find the places. The Meyer Family Raced A LOT at INDY, in 1936 Lou Meyer won the Indy 500, he was a Farm Boy and Liked MILK, so that is what he drank in the Winners Circle, He started that Tradition.

The Meyers built engines and Raced, If any one can remember, Meyer Engines were a Threat at INDY for Many Years, they Bought Drake Engines and were referred to as Meyer-Drake Engines, they Bought Offenhauser Engines and became Drake-Offenhauser witch eventually became Offenhauser Engines with RULED INDY for MANY YEARS.

Sorry this Got SO LONG,

Take Care

John

Last edited by BMFH; 08-30-2023 at 09:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BMFH For This Useful Post: