View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 Trans Am Wiper Squirter Switch Debug And Fix

I'm guessing that if I want the right looking switch I need to fix what I've got.

My issue is that randomly but more often, if I turn on the ignition the squirter motor just goes and goes until I unplug it. Sometimes, later I can plug it in and it will work only when I actually trigger it. But the last time I couldn't make it stop and left the connector off in the engine bay.

Engine bay wiring looks straightforward and clean so my working theory is that the problem is in the switch. Does anyone have a guide where they've taken one of these apart and what to look for, what to clean, and how to do it all without breaking it? I'm not the most confident electrical guy but I do need working squirters..

In case it's different on other year and models, it's a two speed switch you move right to control the wipers. When you push it then it squirts for a timed length of time before stopping. You can't just do a short squirt like a modern car. It's the wipers that park themselves away when you stop. All of that works fine. I've also gone to the Trico replacement squirter that swaps the mechanical pump for a modern electric motor pump in the same size and place.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod