View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Do I need special springs to run roades lifters?

No. But if you're not familiar with Rhoads lifters, be advised that lots of guys can't stand Rhoads lifters, because of the "ticking" sound they cause, at idle. They bleed off some cam lift & duration at idle & low rpm, then gradually restore full cam lift at aprox 3000-3500 rpm. I love 'em. LOTS of Pontiac guys hate 'em, & badmouth 'em every chance they get. Many are quick to say something like "Rhoads lifters are a crutch. Buy the right cam & you won't need Rhoads lifters".

BUT, Rhoads lifters allow you to run a slightly larger cam, but still have a decent idle, enuff vac to work power brakes, & slightly more torque under 3000rpm. This produces what is called a broader power range, than the same cam would have using regular type lifters. Steep ramp cams, such as the Voodoo series usually don't need Rhoads lifters. They are also not recommended for small cams, which already have a smooth idle & plenty of brake vac.

"...And I guess there needs to b work done to put 1.65 rockers on..."

Yes, need to grind out some for pushrod clearance. Otherwise, some of the pushrods will bind up against the heads, since the 1.65 rockers will position the pushrods closer to the rocker studs.

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-11-2019 at 05:59 PM.