View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Muncie 3spd input/tail housing

I thought I mentioned it here, but if I did, the thread is gone.

I am on the hunt for a two parts for a passenger car 1969-1974 Muncie "330" three speed manual transmission... well on the hunt for one part, and casually looking for the second part.

1) a "car" input shaft;
This is the final key piece I need to convert my spare Muncie 330 as a spare to my 100% correct transmission.
GM part number: 3932210
Borg Warner* part number: AWT306-16
This part is differentiated from the "truck" gear by two things:
a) this has a single machined identifier ring groove in the input splines (the "truck" gear has no identifier ring).
b) has a gear tooth count of 21.

This image is of my transmission, you can clearly see the identifier ring on the left side:

2) a "car" with floor shifter tail housing;
I actually have one on my spare Muncie 330, but the speedo cable gear retainer bolt hole has been drilled oversized, and tapped at a bad angle, so I am more casually looking for this one...
The tail housing I am looking for can be identified two ways:
a) provisions to mount a shifter
b) speedo cable gear opening is on the right side (opposite of the side the shifter mount is).

This image is of the correct tail housing (taken from an older thread I created here)

* = this was an aftermarket service replacement listing I have found, not to be confused as a Borg Warner three speed part.

I listed this here, because ALOT more 70-74 Tempest, LeMans, and GTO's were built with this transmission than Firebirds;

Thanks for looking!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2989s.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	515650  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)