View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Limelight View Post
I'd leave the 3.23's in there, all things considered. You pretty much answered your own questions. "It's pretty much a cruiser". "Live in SoCal and do a lot of freeway time". If you venture into some of the states to the east of you where speed limits are 75,80,85 and no limit on interstates you'll appreciate those 3.23's. I live in Missouri but, I've been out there with my 700R4, 3.23 equipped 69 GTO and it's pretty nice zipping along at 80,85 and still be under 2800-3000 RPM. You start putting some "gear" in it you'll be defeating your purpose IMO. Plus, I don't know what rear end you have but, if it's the 8.2 any move above 3.23 will require a carrier change. More $. Also, you already said when "putting" around the torque of your engine does just fine. My vote, leave it alone use the money you would have spent on a rear gear change to buy fuel and take some trips. Believe me, the more you drive it, especially in the "wide open spaces" out west the more you'll like it. I know I do mine. Just my opinions. Enjoy.
My thoughts, too. If it lugs in OD at 60, just drop it into D. When traffic clears up, shift it back into OD. Simple. I'm running 2.56 rear gears in my '67 GTO with an 068 cam and a stock 400 with lower compression (9.3) and a TH400. It cruises 80 mph at 2450 RPM and gets over 20 mpg doing it. I drive mostly freeway, too. At 65 mph, the rpm drops, but it still has plenty of oomph and doesn't lug. In this car, 2000-3000 rpm is the sweet spot.