Thread: Pontiac Heaven
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
Sadly, though, it seems the pure Pontiac racers are a dying breed.

Jim
Funny, I heard that same thing from several people I talked to. Unfortunately that event is structured in such a way that it's mainly targeting 60+ year old people. While there are some of us that are younger than that and appreciate Pontiac engines (like myself), these people are a minority and don't make up the majority of the crowd. The structure of the event would eventually have to change to bring the car count up in a way that targets the middle age group. Most people born in the last 40-45 years don't really care about Pontiac engines, they were already out of production before these people had a drivers license.

I know Steve has had this talk before when he asked for opinions. As much as Pontiac purists hate to admit it, the reality is that in order to increase the numbers, corporate Pontiac stuff will probably need to be allowed, and just run a separate class. Maybe at the end of the day have a top eliminator format between the groups and get a friendly rivalry going. Look at how the Tri-Power Nats, or now called Pontiac Nats, are doing it. They have no lack of participation there. They even incorporate GMC. At a big venue like Wild Horse Pass, they could easily support such an event. Hopefully Steve chimes in and can shed some light.

Sounds like Saturday was the day to be there with the mixed brands and muscle car theme. Everyone I talked to said it was a nice turn out. On a bright note, Sunday has been the only time I've been to that track where you could make as many hot laps down the track as you desired. That sure was nice for those that were racing.