View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

‘70UglyBird,

Here is the continuation to the above post:

Fan setup - Well I have to consult with my mechanic on the details, but it is a unit sold by Griffin. Both the radiator and fans are sold as a unit. I have a bigger version of the setup in my 1970 GTO. It is bigger for the GTO since it can accommodate the additional size.

I can tell you about this portion of the fans. I have two backup systems to the main power going to the fans. I’ll tell you why later on. The first backup is if the main power stops working to the fans there is another power setup that will let the fans work at 50%. Since I am now a gauge hawk, I will see the gauge creep up and I will know something is up and it needs to be addressed. The second backup is if the temperature gets to 220 the power will be shut off to the fuel pump.

Here is why I have two backups for electric fans. A few years ago I had a 461 stroker built for one of my ’78 S/E’s. After I had the car for less than two days I fried the engine. Not something I like to talk about.

Anyway, the fans stopped working and since I wasn’t watching the gauges it was too late when I saw a problem. The temp gauge was pegged all the way to the right past the 260. I thought it was a faulty gauge as I had the gauge changed for a bad oil pressure reading. The gauge was not in error. When I looked at the FAST LED read out it showed 255. That is a reading from the intake manifold. The other gauge in the dash was setup to the block.

The car got me home, but once I shut it off steam came out of the shaker, air extractors and front grills. Total carnage. The fans stopped working. The setup on that engine was a radiator and fans from two different companies. Forget about the fan company paying for a new engine.

Once the engine was torn down it was apparent the block took the brunt of it. The top of the block was magnafluxed and it lite up like a Christmas tree. There was no need to do the bottom of the block.

Now I'm a gauge hawk.

Later,

Jim

Last edited by napster; 07-05-2020 at 08:48 PM.