View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have had to spray "flattened" colors a few times. Last time (based on old cans I still have) I used PPG DX685 Flattening Agent mixed in PPG DCC color. Worked out good for the last use I had, which was the under side of a sun visor for a 53 Chev pickup. I was not trying to get a concourse quality color match so I was probable not very critical but I wanted a very low gloss. You may need a very cooperative paint store but will want to try to adjust the mix several times to get what you need. I think that as the flattener is light in color (I think it is probably talc in a vehicle) you will likely need to start with a color mix darker than you want as a finished color. May take several tries spraying on test panels to get it right. Which is not cheap with the price of paint these days. Mix in the flattener yourself (the old PPG data sheet Form P-162 suggested various mixes depending on desired results) as it settles out quickly and is a bitch to get mixed well even in it's own can. But keep a close record of what works if you ever get there. Post it here as someone else will eventually want to know what works.