View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 04:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mid Motor

"...Believe it was the mid-motor 80v that i looked those specs up on before..."

Funny you should mention that. I just saw one I may bid on.

NO, I don't NEED it.

But, ever since I realized it is a one-of model, I've thought the mid motor idea was just cool.

High bid right now is $32, with $30 shipping. Auction ends Wed. If the high bid is not much higher, I will probably put in a last minute bid. That has never worked for me. But, it's worth a shot.

https://www.ebay.com/i/293954363438?...brand%3DKobalt

There is also one of 'em included in a 2 trimmer package. The other is the front motor model, with a bent shaft. They're being sold "For Parts Or Repair. Unknown Condition".

Min bid is $50. The string trimmer attachment should be worth that, if it has a 10mm thread shaft. If the motor doesn't work, the attachment could be rigged up with a 10" blade, for HD use on my 40v Ryobi.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-80v-...IAAOSw9hpgAczD

The Ryobi seems to have plenty of power to turn the 9" blade. So, with a 10mm shaft attachment, I wouldn't hesitate to try a 10" blade. Without buying one, I don't know how to find out what size shaft the attachment has. But, since my 40v Kobalt has a 10mm shaft, it is just common sense that an 80v Kobalt should have a shaft at least that big.

PS: Here's an assessment of using my 40v Kobalt as a brush cutter. As long as you plan to just continue to cut for several minutes at a time, it's great. It spins free for quite a long time AFTER you let off the trigger. For small stuff, you only need to hit the trigger occasionally, to keep the rpm up. BUT, if you are just cutting one limb/small tree, then laying the trimmer down, to remove that limb/small tree, you have to remember that the blade will still spin for quite a while. Yesterday, I was having to just cut one or 2 things at a time, then set the trimmer down to remove them. Found myself having to wait for the blade to stop spinning. So, I began putting the blade up against a limb or the stump of one, to use as a brake, to stop the blade. That kept me from having to wait for the blade to stop spinning.

One of the advantages of using the rear motor Ryobi as a brush cutter is that after you let off the trigger, the blade stops turning much quicker than with the front motor Kobalt. By the time I get ready to set it down, the blade has quit turning. Another advantage is the variable speed trigger. For real small stuff, I can just keep the blade spinning real slow, then pull the trigger more when more blade speed is needed. So, I consider a variable speed trigger a really good feature.

Still crickets from CA. His last Email was Fri @ 1:37 am. According to the Ebay rep, today is the last day he has to do something. If he doesn't, I'm supposed to contact them Wed, for further action on a partial refund or a return. We'll see if that happens, or if they have some other way to protect him longer. If I can get the partial refund, I'd rather keep it. The batt/charger & attachment are worth that much. But, if I can't get the partial, since I now have the new Ryobi + brush cutter attachment, I'd rather return the whole CA mess for a total refund.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-19-2021 at 05:53 AM.