View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Ah, the arcade! That seems to go hand in hand with the nostalgia from my youth!

We used to vacation at a lake along the Lake Michigan coast. There was an arcade with go-karts, mini golf, and video games along the lakeshore drive. I used to blow through the few bucks I had, but dreamed of the day I could be one of "those" guys with the long hair, wispy 'stache, and rumbly jacked up muscle car. Of course, tho, by the time I was old enough to drive, my family quit going up there. But I saw my first gen 1 FB on vacation up there, and it was a game changer for me.

Real cruising from back in the day had that "edge" to it, where you were behaving in a marginally legal manner. We drove with a little buzz, or maybe a friend or two with an open beer. Throw that in with the anticipation of a possible awkward hookup, and it was all the hormonal indulgence you needed. It all blended together so perfectly!

Cruise-Ins today with our old cars aren't the same. They are sedate, orderly, and void of danger. I enjoy them to some degree, but for different reasons. We are all responsible, financially sound, and have a lot to lose if we F up. Back when we were young we had no clue about future responsibility, and NOTHING to lose.

I think a lot of us still have that wild streak somewhere inside; we just learned how to keep the bear sleeping.
The perfect explanation! Thank You.