Thread: New Found Power
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Now I took the GTO to work this morning and wouldn't you know? I forgot to adjust the mixture screws so at every stoplight I would get a stumble and a stall. I also had a hard time keeping it running and getting it out of the garage even after the engine came up to full temp. So I got her home, adjusted the screws and it ran like crap. So then I got out MY timing light that has no inductor clip but an alligator clip so I have to stick a paper clip up in spark plug wire #1 and keep moving it into a position that doesn't short out on the block. The timing light I borrowed yesterday had a bad connection at the base of the gun and was intermittent. So I ended up adding back +4 degrees of initial timing and got rid of the idle and stumbling issue at operating temperature. So I guess I will see how it is to start and warm up on my next trip out. It's been years since I have had to "tune" a car so this stuff and the tricks of tuning are coming back to me slowly. I guess it helps to do this on a consistent basis to remember all that's needed to perform a complete tune .

So I've read on numerous car forums and have read from as low as 4 degrees initial timing to 15 degrees initial timing....anyone know for sure? And I know a lot of you will say "total timing is what counts" I get that but I don't have a fancy adjustable timing light just yet.