View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Sam to check your new Balancer out if its the same OD as the factory one then once you confirm number 1 is at TDC 36 degrees with then be 2 1/8" around and every 1/8" within that 2 1/8" will be 2.25 degrees pretty much.
Yeah. I understand the reason for suspecting the marks are off. So, here's what I can say to that: The balancer is decent and not that old. The crank was at TDC during assembly and when the balancer was installed the TDC mark lined up with 0. When the indicated timing drops below where it is currently set (around 8 initial without vac advance, 22 with) it doesn't really want to idle without more throttle and has a big drop in vac. For any number of reasons I'm pretty sure the timing is what it says it is. As far as marking the balancer, my balancer is marked already along a pretty broad range. It's one of those nice ones that just give you a bunch of extra numbered timing marks. I use a non-dialback timing light on it. I'm pretty sure my timing is really where it is indicated. I'm pretty sure that the mere 18 degrees of total timing it will take is a real mere 18 degrees. For another example, I had to also limit the mechanical advance to only add 10 degrees before I could get both a decent idle and a non-pinging WOT. Pretty sure it's just making too much cylinder pressure at low RPM for the quality of fuel.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod

Last edited by glhs#116; 09-10-2019 at 08:24 AM.