View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy381 View Post
Looks like it has great bones to start with. Good luck on your endeavor! Looking forward to your future posts.
Thanks, Roy! I had convinced myself over the last 20 years while the GTO was in storage that I would find it to be nearly beyond repair once I started taking things apart and looking more closely. Fortunately, that has not proven to be the case. Each time I start poking around, I'm finding that it's solid except for the typical areas that I already knew about. Often when you start peeling back the layers, you end up with a pile of dust in the end.

While I'm sure more issues will be revealed when it comes back from media blasting, my biggest fear of it being a total basket case is diminishing, fortunately. One of the previous owners had it heavily undercoated, including drilling holes and spraying inside the body panels. While this created a huge mess that I now have to painstakingly clean up, it may have been what saved it from the death sentence that cars in Michigan are typically faced with.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 02-18-2019 at 08:48 PM.