View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Compression first, cam second.
... if you have all your choices on the table why not dictate the compression you want first then make a list of the parts that would help you attain that?
see what I did there?

you are essentially saying the same as me, except I've removed what I can only guess was misinterpretation.

where you lose me is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
Pick a cam more dependent on what you want to use the car for, not for the compression your pile of parts dictated.
Where does this purported "pile of parts" come from?
Are they not parts that you (the engine builder) has chosen to use to get your long block to your desired compression?

I agree the cam should be chosen to compliment the compression and intended use, but weather you are deterimining where the compression will be, or where you want it, you are still first looking at the compression;

If by chance you are replying to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I would deck the block, but not worry about getting it zero decked - just freshen it up;
It was a response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm 474 View Post
... I would like to talk him into letting me replace the pistons with normal Flat Tops, and try and get it at least close to zero deck, either with the pistons, or having the block decked. ...
If this is intending to be a street motor, you can go too much compression very quickly going this way.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)