View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
One thing that I think gets over-looked in the equation is traction. I don't think that most of us posting here are running it out to 120-130mph on the highway and we're probably not running at the local 1/8 or 1/4 mile dragstrip every weekend. We don't necessarily notice any fuel starvation issues as a result, until they get really bad.

So while more power does equal more fuel consumption, one of the big issues involved with supplying fuel is acceleration forces. The guy with 600hp, a RobbMC pump and a well tuned q-jet may be running around just fine with no apparent fueling issue, because when he hammers the throttle he turns power into smoke.

But for that guy there's also another guy with the same setup with a sorted suspension and sticky tires that when he hammers the throttle, the fuel system has to work against those forces.

This is of course not to say don't run a mechanical pump. I'm pointing out that having an idea of how your car is set up, how and when you drive it all matter.
I see this all the time at the dragstrip,guys will show up with really nice builds, big engines ,500 cubic inch plus..and you watch them run down the track and they fall on their face. A/F or fuel pressure should always be monitored under full traction. My car pulls enough G's to shoot the cigarette lighter out of the dash and into the back seat and flops over the passenger side floor mat, just think what the fuel is doing in the tank and the pressure against it in the fuel line.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ta man For This Useful Post: