View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnichols2 View Post
I had a friend who had similar issues. When restoring my 67 I found that the adjustment for getting "Park" or getting "Low" is very problematic. You either get one or the other. The difference can be literally about 1/4 to 1/8 inch of travel in the cable.

In the assembly manual PAGE 361 it shows two things I found important. First there are washers (more like spacers , see photo)) at each mounting hole on the bracket. Second, the bracket itself has adjusting screws in each side (see photo).

By adjusting the bracket up or down it changes the cable travel just a little bit and Ii am able to get both Park and Low. I also think that I have an original 67 cable, so that may be critical as well.
I ran into this issue with my '67 about 9 years ago. The car wouldn't go into low gear manually. Tried a new cable. Same thing. Tried another good used oem cable.....same thing. Ended up fiddling with the adjustment of the lever down on the trans....was able to move it about 1/4" or a bit less. That fixed it for good.