View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat16 View Post
Thanks guys , as in any case , carbs have their problems , I think I may plan a weekend and bolt it all in , run it and watch close to see what leaks and ask more questions, I have no experience with tripower , only 4bbl, so the set up is key as well, nice to see it on the shelf , but it’s sat long enough!, mike
I have had many tri-power cars over the last 45 years and enjoyed them all. Are they more likely to catch fire than a single carburetor? Yes, for the reasons mentioned in the thread. IMO, they are three times as likely to catch fire as one carburetor. Doesn't mean they will ever catch fire though. No reason for them to. They have allot of fittings to check for leaks, no big deal. They have 3 floats that can stick and overflow, but still very, very little chance that will happen. Make sure your plug wires are in excellent shape and routed properly as that is generally the ignition source for a fire, especially around the rear carb. It so happens that the most likely time for a fuel leak and potential fire is when you first start one up. This is the most likely time a needle and float will stick because it's dry and the bowls are empty. I recommend pre-filling the carburetors for the first start up with a tiny funnel through the bowl vents. Just a few ounces in each bowl will get the floats, floating. If you don't want to do this, crank the engine for 10 seconds then stop. wait 15 seconds. Then crank 5 seconds. Wait 15 seconds. continue til it starts. This fills the bowls slowly and you can find leaks or issues before it floods badly. Nothing to be afraid of. Also nothing sounds better than a tri-power at full throttle all six throats singing that Pontiac song! Enjoy.