View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I could go over my plan again for Toms benefit or I could tell you what really went down. I bought my nut from Ames and it arrived today. I eyeballed the mount and the trunk floor and made the cut where I thought best to do so. Well it wasn’t dead on so I was kind of pissed about that until I noticed something. It hadn’t broken the welds on the cage they were fine. It had actually twisted the cage bad enough that the nut could spin and had hogged it out to where it was just spinning freely. The cage was still perfectly welded to the floor and I would have had to have made the cut way bigger to cut the cage out so I pried on it till it was pushed wide enough for me to wedge the nut at which time I back my bolt out destroying my threads in the process. I took the nut out of the cage from the one Ames sent me and put it in the right place in the twisted up cage and then beat it down with an 8 pound sledge until it captured the nut well again. I dug thru the body hardware they had saved and found a bolt that was in like new shape and ran it up in there and tightened it dow and viola problem solved. I closed the hole by folding the metal back down and welding it up but I have to admit the weld is ugly. There was a pretty big gap the cutting wheel made and I had to try to fill it in. It looks like crap but it’s so close to the tail panel no one will ever see it and if they did they would know exactly what it was for. My only pet peeve is I bought 59 dollars worth of dupli color trunk spatter paint and it’s junk. Just looks like black and gray paint. No spatter or texture. I can’t send it back cause it’s considered hazardous so I guess I am gonna use like truck bed liner then spray this stuff over it unless someone knows of a true spatter paint besides the GM which is 25 dollars a can.