View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 12:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks TAKerry and Grand73Am,
Your color ideas, options and examples will work well for me to give me the direction to go with the interior color. I think my dash pad was painted different and I will likely go with the original color on the dash.
I put the interior on pause because my sender came in and I was going to take it over to a buddies with a lift on Sunday but on my way over he called and said no go, so I drove it home and laid on my back and switched out the sender.
I knew this car was in good shape but I was in awe at how rust free the car is for a Minnesota original. I know no one had removed the tank because I found the build sheet. Unfortunately, it is unreadable. I took pictures of the chassis with the tank removed - pretty rust free.
I had a little scare with the motor as I was working on the carb. It turns out that the carb problem was a bad o-ring on the primary needle/seat valve and it was dumping fuel into the intake as well as outside the intake. You can imagine my scare when I set the new valve in and cranked the engine and it locked up when the starter was cranking before it fired - and wouldn't turn over even by hand. I thought I had run the oil so thin with fuel that the engine was locked up.
So I decided I would pull the plugs and fog the cylinders and try and baby it back to life with lubrication.
Turns out that it was just hydro-locked with fuel as one cylinder was completely full of fuel. So I pulled all the plugs and cranked it and let the fuel blow out, then I fogged the cylinders. I then filled the crankcase over full with good oil so I knew the whole crank was submersed in oil to soak up the residual fuel. I let it sit over night and then changed the oil. I will run this oil for a little bit and change the oil again to make sure the fuel is out of the system.
I set up the carb float levels right and she runs great now. I love these Holley double pumpers but they can be nasty with flooding. It has been twenty years since I worked with one but the memories came back quick.
I have to find mufflers that are quieter though, I am pissing my wife off, its loud.
Everything is calibrated and works, the tach, fuel, temp and volts, all work well. Looks good to, at night with all LEDs for instrument lights. I left the normal bulbs in for the turn signals and idiot lights.
I will start my search for seats and mufflers.
More to come.
Thanks guys, your help is awesome.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2024.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	541594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2025.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	83.1 KB