View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Speaking of those rear quarter decals, ideally a set of NOS would be nice, the repops are not the right shade of white. Your car sure deserves it.

Interesting how your car is optioned, no power brakes (is it manual disc? I remember driving a 68 RA1 with manual disc, they didn't like to stop completely!) but it has an 8 track. My 69 Judge was optioned strange like that... 4.33 gears and an M21 plus manual steering and brakes but he also ordered power windows and an 8 track.
Would love NOS decals. Any ideas where I could locate a pair? Were the originals a light ivory color?

I had forgotten about those photos of that collision damage in the body shop book! Thanks for posting. Very helpful. Looks like that car has power widows or door locks. I also see the black crankcase breather tube.....very interesting. I probably should paint mine to match. Those are great shots of the head pipes. Black all the way to the mufflers. Must be some high temp paint.....

I believe you are correct that only the RA GTOs in 68 received the 4 blade fan. Frankly I am surprised how effective they are. It was 110 degrees here yesterday and my car didn't get close to overheating. I have the rally gauge pack and the temps held stead in a reasonable area. Maybe the 4.33 gear sets compliments the 4 blade fan? Higher average RPMs while cruising around probably allow that fan to function well enough.

Options on this one include:
  1. 8 Track Stereo Tape Player
  2. Rally Gauge Cluster
  3. Clock
  4. Power Steering
  5. Disk Brakes

Disk Brakes are non-power. They seem to work very well though. I sent off the calipers and master cylinder to White Post Restorations to be sleeved and rebuilt. They work much better than I expected.

This car didn't come with a hood tach or chrome exhaust from the factory. I consider those "Day 2 options". They were on the car when I bought it about 32 years ago so I figured I would include those items in the restoration. Besides, I prefer the car with a tach. I can't imagine driving with 4.33 gears and NOT having a tachometer. It's no wonder the original engine didn't last long in this car or many others that were shipped with the 4.33 gears.