View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I haven't seen those service book pics in a while.

Looking even closer, did you guys notice the left front muffler clamp is the same color as the head pipes? Sure looks like its possible they were never treated with anything at all and its possibly rust. Against the floor and frame of the car they appear they could be that brownish shade and not black., very similar to the way the steering box looks against the frame on the front end picture?

Not saying thats what it is, but let yourself believe that for a moment & then look again at the pictures. Given they way these were built back then, Sure Seems very possible & more of a hassle to paint them black? The car definitely has some miles on it.

Just a thought.
I also noticed the clamp looked black.
I was searching Ebay last night and came across some NOS head pipes for sale. All black. He had 2 of them for sale...RH side I think. They included the flange clamps and you could barely make out the flattened portion at the crossmember area. The pipes were stored up in the rafters so it was hard to see but you could still make out the image. Let me see if I can swipe the photo and post here....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114394297449

The ad says the part number is stamped into the pipes. That is pretty cool....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200909-133415_eBay.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	549133