View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's be honest--the 1971-72 GTO nose is an acquired taste. How they went from 1970's nose to the '71 and thought, "Oh, yeah!" is beyond me. I'm gonna guess it didn't end up as intended.

And then there's the low-compression stigma--many would rather tolerate a 400/auto from 1970 over a '72. Thanks to the HO guys, we've learned the low-compression years were not as bad as first thought, but it certainly doesn't help the less desirable versions. (And, I bet, a 400 LeMans doesn't suffer from the same stigma due to its rarity and special interest).

A comparison with Chevrolets isn't quite fair because the percentage of cars that are modded is much greater. They get lesser Chevelles and slap SS badges on them, or they put in 502s and go for broke no matter the pedigree. I have my own preferences for them (I think the '70 is the strongest), yet the '71-72 has its fans, even though I personally think the styling got ruined with those dual headlights.

Ditto Chargers--you're comparing one of the nicest cars of the 1960s, and it's a Mopar besides. Prices are crazy, but its trajectory is unique and in no way should be compared to a '72 GTO's. Even Judges are not as crazy as Chargers, even though the styling of GTOs from the era is strong.

IMHO