Thread: 69 disc brakes
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
While I'm sure you are correct that the sources say that, I have never seen a 1967-1976 B-body with anything other than 5 on 5 bolt pattern. The application listing in many cases lists the wagon version as the 4.75 on 5, which I know should be wrong having owned a half dozen over the years. I did this conversion myself 15 years ago and back then the 4.75 on 5 was NOT listed as a viable source by any of the old books or computers. The bearing sizes between the two are not interchangeable to fit the smaller bolt pattern rotor on the spindle of a big car (I tried both a '70-81 F-body and a '71 A-body).

In 1977+ I know the 4.75" on 5 bolt pattern was the standard and only heavy duty suspension cars got 5" on 5, making finding brakes for them an exercise in fun.
I had a conversation with Nunzi maybe 15 years ago before disc brake conversion kits became available for the ‘61-‘64 “B” bodies. If I remember correctly Nunz said that to convert a ‘64 to disc brakes you had to use a ‘70 “B” disc brake setup. because it used the 5 X 5 (5 X 127mm these days) bolt pattern. I do remember he was VERY specific about the donor being a ‘70.

Dr. Thomas Sowell