View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Out of curiosity if you buy a specific break in oil, how does that differ from a normal high zinc flat tappet formula in the additive package? Do break in oils just have even more zinc and phosphorous or is the package more in depth than that.
I've been told the additive package is quite a bit different when asking about the Amsoil version. It's more than just the cam you are breaking in. Several other high pressure areas in the engine like rockers and pushrods and piston skirts. I was also told that they also promote a faster ring seat during the first few minutes. I got further confirmation of that I mention below from a very well known and successful engine builder. I'd be willing to bet the Comp and Brad Penn break in oils that I've also used are pretty similar.

Interesting tidbit that my father got from Tony Bischoff. He stated that he prefers to use the Amsoil break in oil, compared to others, he got faster ring seat with Amsoil break in oil than any other break in oil he's tried.

While you may get away with your own concoction, at the end of the day I agree with Rock, I find it's not really worth it when there are good products on the market specific for this process, and it's really not that much money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: