View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
There are surely more than one ways to skin a cat, but how much do you really save there with the additive? I just bought a 6 pack of Jegs break in oil for $6 each. My engine guy also could have gotten me the Joe Gibbs stuff for the same price if I wanted to pay shipping. So that stuff is essentially the cost of 2 quarts of break in oil, and that's assuming you buy $100 worth of stuff so you don't have to pay $9.99 in shipping from Summit. Its more expensive on Amazon.
how much do you save? the comp stuff is $11, the crane is $8 for a single bottle. most break in oils are ~$7-$10/qt for a name brand. granted they arent that expensive, but when you can buy a 5 gallon jug of a decent oil for about $16-20 (cheaper on sale or rebates) & add a bottle of the cam additive, it is cheaper & probably as good or better than most break in oils. with a decent oil of ~800-900ppm zddp & average moly & other additive levels, adding a bottle of real cam break in additive likely has a lot more of the good stuff than a bottle of jegs break in oil.

but its not really about price, it just seems a lot easier to buy a single bottle of a specific additive that will boost a normal oil to be as good or better than a break in oil that can be somewhat hard to find or require paying for shipping. most people doing a cam break in dont "have a guy" to get $6/qt break in oil. & you dont have to buy $100 of stuff, you can buy off amazon for $50 of stuff to get free shipping or $0 of stuff if you have prime... or go to pep boys & some other parts stores for the same price as summit, or ebay for a few bucks more.

just curious why nobody on this thread considers the break in additives.

Last edited by 78w72; 02-26-2020 at 04:55 PM.