View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 11:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys, your help and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I stumbled on this car by shopping craigslist looking to find a nice car (Trans Am GTO or Lemans) that I could put a fresh 68 GP 400 XH engine and Muncie M21 setup I had sold to a local guy. Deal fell through, now I have two motors and transmission setups for my 67 GTO convertible.
The 68 400 that I have has never been in a car- built by a local race shop and dynoed at break in to 425hp. After driving this car and experiencing the current engine I am not sure I will make the swap. However a 4 speed would be nice.

I will look into the speedo gear change and start with the little things first.
The stripes are painted on and it is interesting that those that have commented - no one likes the stripes.
I know the TA graphics are a staple and eventually this bird will wear them.
The previous owner was obviously thinking a black interior as door panels rear panels and console are new black. I kind of like the original color interior as pictured above and that would save me a headliner.
Any chance I can get the carpet glue off the existing dash.
I know it needs a glove box door as the door is only hinged by the carpet that holds it.

What do you guys think about a preferred color combo.
Is it better to stay original on colors.
I think maybe I will drive it this summer- fix the little things- try to find good original seats and rip her down this winter.