View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
Just did a install on original RA II manifolds on 68 GTO. I had removed a set of repo RA IV 2.5" manifolds that were on car and fit much tighter. What I found that worked well was to put a stud in two holes near opposite ends that did not interfere with A arm or frame. Place gasket in place over studs, used small clips on opposite ends to clamp gasket in place on edge of head. Removed studs. Then placed front manifold bolt hole (closest to radiator) to respective mounting hole and put bolt in about 2 to 3 threads. Then gently let manifold rest on crossmember and put the bolt in that had interference with chassis and raised in to place to also engage 2 to 3 threads. Removed clamps holding gasket. Then with manifold in place was able to finger tighten all the bolts. I did remove motor mount bolt on side I was working on and placed floor jack and board under oil pan offset to side of engine I wanted to raise. Gently raised engine on that side as high as possible (loosen other motor mount bolt so engine can rotate). I was able to remove passenger side and do install from top. However driver side had to come out and in through bottom due to steering shaft. Also driver side I had to remove starter and clutch countershaft as well. I did an install of Dougs on 69 Firebird automatic car and was amazed how easy they went in. Raising the motor on the side you are working on helps a lot.
I really wish the RARE Ram Air manifolds would have been available. They are still having issues with the foundry and don't really have a solid date for production
I am confident the Tri-Ys will fot after talking to them though.