View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Was the PS system bled with the engine at idle?

This can cause the pressure relieve valve to be pushed out of place and possibly catch. This can create a low pressure situation. Had this happen on mine after the shop bled the system with the engine at idle. Didn’t have any pulsating but the wheel acted as though there was no assist.

What you would need to do is remove the pressure hose from the power steering pump. Using a small screw driver you want to lightly press and manipulate the pressure relief valve until it slides back into place and places some spring pressure on you. Reinstall the pressure hose and reveled the system. Technically speaking you should be able to do that by simply turning the wheel lock to lock without the engine on. If you need some help, kill the ignition and bleed the system with the engine at cranking speed only.
Thanks Jason. I called Lares and they indicated I would need to take the pressure relief valve out of the pump, reassemble and make sure I follow their bleeding instructions. When I put this all together, I filled the pump and with wheels off the ground turned the steering wheel lock to lock like 20 times. I guess that was wrong? I then started the car at idle and did another lock to lock 20 times.

Fill power steering pump with new fluid recommended for your vehicle. While having someone watch the fluid level and adding fluid to the pump (Keep fluid above top of pump casting) crank the engine over using the ignition switch. (To prevent excessive starter wear; crank engine over for less than 20 second intervals.) While you are cranking the engine over, turn the steering wheel lock to lock slowly at least 4 times to bleed the system. If you see any bubbles and/or foam enter the pump; stop and let the system rest until all of the bubbles and/or foam has dissipated. Repeat steps 8-10 until bubbles and/or foam no longer enter the pump.