Thread: Aluminum Heads
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
No one asks the manufacturers WHY our brand of heads exceed by sometimes twice the price of other brands that don't sell nearly as many units. If I had a connection to the manufacturers, I'd be asking why that is. If there's a logical explanation, then by all means explain it to us. If there's not, then lower the prices. I want a set of aluminum heads, and have for a long time, I can't justify the price to myself though, and have held off buying any for that reason.

I've said before on PY, I would never expect the Pontiac heads to be as cheap as a SBC, or even a BBC, but c'mon, I doubt that olds and AMC together sell as many units as Pontiac does. Just for grins, how many dyed in the wool, AMC and olds enthusiasts do you know? I know two olds guys, and no AMC guys.

I believe that Edelbrock has made their investment back as far as Pontiac is concerned, and they have had one major revision in the Pontiac heads since the inception, heart shaped chambers, which KRE came out with first. Edelbrock updated theirs because the competition on upped them. If not for KRE, would Edelbrock ever have changed the chamber shape? They don't invest much R&D in Pontiac heads.

They got on the D port bandwagon because KRE was getting every sale of aluminum D ports, they saw they were losing a ton of sales to KRE.

Edelbrock doesn't lead the way very often in firsts for Pontiac, most times some other company makes the investment, does the R&D and opens the market, and Edelbrock follows the lead.

I'm not impressed with how Edelbrock has treated the Pontiac community over the last 50 years, maybe I'm off base, but if I am, then someone enlighten me as to why I should think better of them.

Big fish in a little pond is the scenario I think of, we should be grateful they have even acknowledged we even exist? Not me, I'll vote with my wallet, so far it's closed, and I'm voting NO.
Who knows on cost.... most poncho fans love performance. Edelbrock has known we will pay - hence the prices.

And I'm 100% w/ you on the Edel dports. Just not needed by us....the guy in the garage making power. BUT....KRE's competitors needed them..Butler, ect. Butler won't/cannot sell KRE stuff. They compete. Probably main reason why they made heads we already had. - And I use Butler - great guys and great product. I would likely never buy the Ehead dports...

I'm glad KRE and Speedmaster, etc are pushing Edelbrock w/ competitive products.