View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
The stitching pulls apart because the leather dries out, becomes less flexible and overloads the stitching. To repair the seat you have two options, recover with new leather or get the old leather flexible and restitch what you have.

To renurish the leather you have, use Neatsfoot oil liberally to the pulled a part area. Apply several times to the failed area. Once the leather is renurished, the stitching can be replaced repairing the seat. Sometimes the leather is so dried out that you cannot get it flexible enough to restitch. At that point it's either find a new seat back for your car or get the existing seat recovered with new leather.
Can you provide a ballpark figure on what one should expect to pay for this? You say it's expensive but what is the upholstery industry commanding in these instances?

My '04, which is in otherwise excellent shape, has this issue. If my original seat leather in good condition can be re-sewn, that's the route I'd like to take. However, if I need to invest in new leather, I'm not opposed to that option, either. So if you can put me in the neighborhood of what each might cost it would be truly appreciated.