View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

HWYSTR455,

I will answer your questions/comments, then give you an update:

I purchased some female Packard 56 ones from both Pep Boys and Amazon, and they are about 2m shorter than the ones in my bulkhead connectors. We reused the one connector on the melted resistor wire we had to remove to be sure it had the depth into the fuse block.

It's amazing those bulkhead connectors aren't available.

I will bookmark that crimping tool, thank you.

To my knowledge, the spark plug wires are early 90's and have about 16,000 miles on them. I have no idea if they need to be replaced. I replaced the coil about two years ago, but never the coil plug wire. The car would intermittently stop revving over 4,000 rpms. Replacing the coil fixed that issue. Please let me have your opinion on the wires. I can send photos if you like. The spark plugs are new R43S, gapped at 0.045,

Yes, the engine harness is dated, and yes I ordered a new one from M&H. Unfortunately, they didn't have the HEI modified one, only standard. But, they are including a wire to replace the resistor wire. The salesman said this is the only difference. I will simply ignore the wires for the old 3-wire ext. regulator alternator. Additionally, I ordered a front headlight harness from Ames, which is from M&H, but M&H didn't have stock, so I went to Ames. The headlight harness should include horns and parking lamp wiring too.

Because I like spending the maximum amount of money, I also called up Mad Electric and bought a kit from them for headlight relays, electric fan relays, alternator wiring, diodes, and God knows what else.

After Labor Day, laboring on diagnostics for hours, I am 100% on board with your assessment that it is much faster to replace everything.

Yes, on Saturday the GTO died leaving a friend's house. Just cut off. I started it and it idled for about 10 seconds then died. It wouldn't start for a couple of minutes then somehow started and I drove around the block and it cut off again. A couple of minutes later I was able to restart and make it the four blocks to my house. The cut off was the same type of cut off as the previous short on the resistor wire.

I'm about to download installation docs for my AutoMeter Sport Comp 3.5" tach, my MSD 8563 Dizzy , and my 6AL 6420 ignition box. I have an automotive wiring book on the way and good instructions from M&H too.

Let me know what you think about the spark plug wires.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"