View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doing some more research on the '77 GP. More than 288,000 were sold. That explains why there are still so many out there. There was a model J, LJ, & SJ.

It seems that only the SJ model came with a 400 std. Some info said that both the J & LJ models came with a 301 std, in most states. But, one site said the std engine in the LJ was the 350, & that the 350 & 400 were available in both models.

Anyhow, the info said that all the Pontiac engines came with a TH400, including the 301. That surprised me.

I also discovered a lot of the '77's that are for sale have roll-up windows. Some of these have bucket seats with a console shifter. Some have a bench seat & column shifter.

So, for my preferences, the advantages are 8.5 rear end, most have Pontiac engine with TH400 trans, & roll-up windows are available. Also found a few that didn't have a vinyl roof. And, many of those for sale, appear very clean inside & out. Prices for smaller cars, like the Birds, are much higher when they are as clean as these '77 GP's. So, I can probably get a much cleaner car, for a lot less money, with a GP.

Just thinkin out loud. Any opinions, or anybody who knows where there is a good buy on a clean '77 GP with a Pontiac engine & roll-up window ? Again, engine doesn't even need to run. But, a 350 or 400 would make the car worth more to me, than a 301.