View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Question was asked if the 10.70 Mopar Super Stocker was Addison's '67 GTX "Silver Bullet". The answer is NO! The Hemi Super Stocker that the Blackbird raced was a lettered race car and not the "Sliver Bullet". The Blackbird raced that Super Stocker on two different occations in an industrail park off Telegraph Rd near Plymouth Rd.

The Blackbird beat the Hemi Super Stocker in first race without having to go all out. It was realized that the bird had plenty more horse power then the Mopar and beat him just enough to make it look close. The Mopar wanted a re- match in a few weeks because he didn't feel his car was running right. (Not unusual feeling after losing)

At the second race a Mopar engine development engineer, but a Pontiac fan, Greg Douglas used his Hemi Cuda as the finish line. Greg had Jim Wangers on board and they used Greg's headlights as the finish line. This time the Blackbird used all most all of its power and crossed Greg's headlight beams several car lengths a head of the lettered Hemi Mopar Super Stocker. The owner of the Hemi Super Stocker did not want another rematch. He was convinced that Pontiacs could run.

Greg Douglas told me that he used to make a lot of money betting on the Blackbird back then. As usual, some people thought Pontiacs could not run. They would think it had a Chevy under the hood. They lost on that bet too.

A few years ago I ran across a gentleman by the name of Pat Moran at a local automotive/Hot Rod place called Motor City Steel. I had the Blackbird on Display in their showroom next to a silver '67 GTX called "The Orginal Bullet". (This is not Addison's GTX, long Story) Pat said he remembered back in the day seeing a very fast black Firebird that looked like my car. It had been owned by Jim Wangers. Pat said he watched the Firebird baddly beat a lettered Hemi Mopar Super Stocker off Telegraph Rd. I told him that this is that car. For the next several minutes Pat just kept walking around the Bird and smiling as if he had come across a long lost friend.