View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

[QUOTE=389;6048543]60919 is a bad cam for a street only car. I had one in a 462 it was lumpy with no bottom end. The 389 I took out of the car had more bottom end.

Quit trying to build a drag racing car for the street.. It doesn't work. Street is a whole different thing, much more complicated.. Look up Jim Hand and Nunzi..

The OP'er of thread IS trying to get away from the 1/4 mile combination that his car came with. His direction may be dictated by a budget (like mine would be...). His beginning may have not exactly hit the mark, as can happen...I, also vote for a set of 6X-8 heads, with the 2802 cam...

Jim Hand ran the 041 cam for a long time in his wagon engine 455. Lots of experimentation. he drag raced the wagon to get performance comparisons. His main goal was to get the best performance with the best drive-ability. He uses Rhoads lifters for better idle and a slight bump in low end power. He always steers towards an all around good driving well mannered street driven vehicle.

Having said all this, I know the 041 Jim used the 041 for quite a while (the 041 and 60919 are VERY close in specs). Jim's engine(s) are very finely detailed in all areas. It's likely that his success with the 041 cam may not be easily duplicated by others. Te latest cam that Jim has been using is the Wolverine 5059 (no long being manufactured), it has a few degrees duration. It also has good driving characteristics for street driving...

I too, remember Jim mentioning about how much he liked the 068 cam. I believe it was in more of a mild combination than his 6X headed versions. I believe the 068 cam was used with 96 heads, and I believe 1.65 rockers. He also experimented with cam timing quite a bit with that combo (he may have played with cam timing with all his engines...)

I don't know what to think about using the round port heads on a specific "driver" 455. It wouldn't be a head choice I would pursue.

I bought a 041 cam here, for a good price. Hope to use it in a 455 build. Especially hope to nail down all the finer details to mimic Jim's 455 build. Zero decking, port work, no sharp edges in chamber or on piston, proper cam timing (109 ICL), hone with torque plate, proper carb tuning, proper dist setup, and I plan to use a 72 iron intake...I am sure I left out some stuff....

My only thought for current combo is checking the ICL. I have read here about timing gears being mis-marked on occasion. So much of the stuff is imported, quality control is not a big deal to the makers. THey collect their 25 cents a day and go home.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 08-07-2019 at 08:53 AM.